My in's and out's on breastfeeding!
I feel beyond blessed that I was able to breastfeed Ivory for the first year of her life. It might have been one of the hardest things I have done, all seriousness, but I feel like it was so worth it. So I am writing this in hopes that I can offer encouragement. But also understanding to those who can't.
I had a complete different experience with Lola. She would not latch. I tried everything. I even saw a lactation specialist and nothing worked. We tried using a shield, different positions, making sure she wasn't tongue or lip tied. I even tried sneaking my nipple in when she was eating from little tubes dripping milk from a syringe. I ended up pumping at every feeding and feeding her milk I had previously pumped from a bottle. I had to do this for two months! It was exhausting and both physically and mentally draining. Finally. Finally! She latched. But since I shortly went back to work, I only produced enough to breastfeed her till she was four months.
Like Ivory, I also had a c-section with Lola, but I did not get to do skin to skin with her. Honestly, I feel like that would have changed this whole experience. I may be crazy in thinking that, but I am a firm believer in skin to skin.
When I had Ivory via c-section, I had arranged to do skin to skin with her and that girl nursed like a champ. It was incredible hard, painful, time consuming, and very uncomfortable. But it was also so rewarding and simply put just amazing that a women's body can provide literally everything for their baby. Ivory was a slow nurser for the first few months. She took her sweet time and loved to nurse often so I felt like I was always doing it. Which I really was. And it was so uncomfortable for me to nurse out in public. Even with a nursing cover. I felt like I was getting shamed for doing so and that I was disgusting. It was so hard for me to do it because of that.
So, if you are a nursing momma. Don't let those thoughts of your own, or looks maybe even words from strangers bring you down. Don't let them stop you from doing something completely natural, healthy, and harmless to help your little one. You are amazing. You are beautiful. You have so much to offer not only your baby but to others around you.
To the momma that couldn't nurse, don't let your thoughts of being a bad mom being you down. You tried your very hardest. You are amazing. You are beautiful. You have so much to offer not only to your baby, but to others around you.
And honestly, if breastfeeding isn't for you, that to is 100% perfect! As I have heard said and will also agree with and say, a fed baby is the best baby, not matter how it is done.
Here are some must have breastfeeding items and I couldn't have survived without!
First thing is a Boppy! Helped my arms survive the nursing and helped the babies be close enough to nurse well.
Along with it I swear by the water resistant protective cover.
There Nursing pads saved me! If you produce a lot of breast milk, these are amazing so you stay dry.
When you first start nursing, I swear by these Gel nursing pads. It helps with cracked and sore nipples.
Hands down, you need a good nursing bra! This one is ah-mazing! Its seamless so you can not see them and they are so comfortable!
I definitely recommend a breast pump! I got mine free with our health insurance when I had Lola. It worked great for both girls. Check out your resources before buying anything. I unfortunately no longer have it and I can't for the life of me remember the brand it was.
What was your must have breast feeding product?!
xoxo, Kaila
I had a complete different experience with Lola. She would not latch. I tried everything. I even saw a lactation specialist and nothing worked. We tried using a shield, different positions, making sure she wasn't tongue or lip tied. I even tried sneaking my nipple in when she was eating from little tubes dripping milk from a syringe. I ended up pumping at every feeding and feeding her milk I had previously pumped from a bottle. I had to do this for two months! It was exhausting and both physically and mentally draining. Finally. Finally! She latched. But since I shortly went back to work, I only produced enough to breastfeed her till she was four months.
Like Ivory, I also had a c-section with Lola, but I did not get to do skin to skin with her. Honestly, I feel like that would have changed this whole experience. I may be crazy in thinking that, but I am a firm believer in skin to skin.
When I had Ivory via c-section, I had arranged to do skin to skin with her and that girl nursed like a champ. It was incredible hard, painful, time consuming, and very uncomfortable. But it was also so rewarding and simply put just amazing that a women's body can provide literally everything for their baby. Ivory was a slow nurser for the first few months. She took her sweet time and loved to nurse often so I felt like I was always doing it. Which I really was. And it was so uncomfortable for me to nurse out in public. Even with a nursing cover. I felt like I was getting shamed for doing so and that I was disgusting. It was so hard for me to do it because of that.
So, if you are a nursing momma. Don't let those thoughts of your own, or looks maybe even words from strangers bring you down. Don't let them stop you from doing something completely natural, healthy, and harmless to help your little one. You are amazing. You are beautiful. You have so much to offer not only your baby but to others around you.
To the momma that couldn't nurse, don't let your thoughts of being a bad mom being you down. You tried your very hardest. You are amazing. You are beautiful. You have so much to offer not only to your baby, but to others around you.
And honestly, if breastfeeding isn't for you, that to is 100% perfect! As I have heard said and will also agree with and say, a fed baby is the best baby, not matter how it is done.
Here are some must have breastfeeding items and I couldn't have survived without!
First thing is a Boppy! Helped my arms survive the nursing and helped the babies be close enough to nurse well.
Along with it I swear by the water resistant protective cover.
There Nursing pads saved me! If you produce a lot of breast milk, these are amazing so you stay dry.
When you first start nursing, I swear by these Gel nursing pads. It helps with cracked and sore nipples.
Hands down, you need a good nursing bra! This one is ah-mazing! Its seamless so you can not see them and they are so comfortable!
I definitely recommend a breast pump! I got mine free with our health insurance when I had Lola. It worked great for both girls. Check out your resources before buying anything. I unfortunately no longer have it and I can't for the life of me remember the brand it was.
What was your must have breast feeding product?!
xoxo, Kaila





Comments
Post a Comment